is a city in the province of Catania, set 420m a.s.l. and totalling
some 15.300 inhabitants. Destroyed by an euption in 1669, it managed
to regain its ancient splendor. The Mother Church, dedicated to
Santa Maria della Consolazione, is one of the most interesting buildings
in town. Already existing in the 12th century, it was successively
reconstructed. Inside, a 1500’s painting depicting the Madonna
delle Grazie is noteworthy.
mention must go to the minor churches of San Vito – with a
precious painting depicting San Vito and S. Artemia by Giuseppe
Rapisardi – and Sant’Antonio Abate.
interesting secular buildings are also worth-seeing, such as the
1700’s Palazzo Rapisardi and Palazzo Cirelli, a fine example
of the liberty style.