San Cono, about 3,300 inhabitants
and located at a 525 m height in the Erei Mountains, is a farming
village, notably renowned for prickly-pear production utilized for
a much appreciated home-made ice-cream. A festival of the prickly-pear
festival is held annually in the end of October.
Fruit, cereals, grapes and artichokes
are also major outputs of farms in the area.
Founded in 1784 by Duke Ottaviano
Trigona della Floresta, who gave the village its current name, it
later was a Marquisate, still belonging to the founder’s family.
Afterwards, it was annexed to the city of Michele di Ganzeria, until
The Mother Church, dated 1838 –
with a beautiful campanile and splendid high-relief stuccoes –,
the Holy Spirit Church – preserving a statue of San Cono –
and the 1900’s Holy Crucifix Church are the most attractive
religious buildings in town. The Palazzo Baronale, now reduced to
few remnants, is also worth-seeing.