is a small town of about 1,800 inhabitants located at 531 m a.s.l.
amidst a beautiful naturalistic landscape. In its surroundings visitors
can enjoy a range of dramatic excursions, such as the “1928
Craters”, formed by Etna eruption, the Sentiero Natura Monti
Sartorius, consisting of a series of craters, beautiful white-broom
groves or, finally, the Parco Comunale di Contrada Cava, with a
luxuriant Mediterranean bush, walnut and holm-oaks, which is of
historical interest as well.
so-called “castagno dei 100 cavalli” (100 horses’s
walnut tree), with a 60m circumference, completes the range of excursions
in the area. According to a legend, during a storm, a queen and
her one-hundred knights, took refuge under this majestic tree quarry.
Mother Church is the major religious building in town. It is enriched
with precious polychrome altars and various frescoes among which
are those depicting the “Triumph of the three Martyrs”
in the apse.
The town has other interesting churches
like the Chiesa del Calvario, offering an impressive vista, and
the Chiesa dei Nucifori, with an interesting bust of the Madonna